Restaurants, diners, and food trucks–you probably NEED better pictures of your food!

by Darrell Crosgrove

I’ve seen a lot of food merchants with web pages that do NOT show off their food products very well. If your product is food, and you can’t sell a “dining experience atmosphere” (food trucks, diners, hint!) as a major selling point, you need to impress upon your online viewers that your food is the best there is, and you have two, and only two ways of doing that:

  1. Reviews.
  2. Pictures of your food.

Reviews are difficult to generate, because a customer must do them on their own.

But pictures? You can do those all day. Most cell phones now take pictures that are professional enough for high quality food photography. You could post an image of every food item you have and generate a lot of interest. As an example of someone who does it well, I refer you to:

Their menu shows their donuts, including specialty donuts, party tray, donut cakes, and prices for each. As I am dieting right now, that website, and PM’s posts on the groups I am in, are sheer torture. I can look at those fresh cake donuts loaded with flavorful toppings and know, with 100% certainty, the songs of joy my tastebuds would sing upon biting into one of those.

And that is how it should be—those images make me want to go and eat now, so that when I have an open slot for a meal, I will go there and eat.  

Now, make no mistake, I would advise more than just pictures on your site—you also want certain types of videos to bring in customers, but that is another subject for another day. For right now, you need to get good images of your food that look professionally done and make people want to come in and order your “Anti-Hero Hero” or “Blazin’ Hot Steak Fry Nachos”. You want them to look at the picture, see the elements, and imagine how wonderful it would be to sit down and eat those delicious dishes that you serve!

And I’ll let you in on a little secret—if they walk in expecting to eat the very best meal they have ever had—they probably will feel that is the meal they got. People have the quality of thinking something is great just because they thought it would be great. If the experience gets to within… 80% of what they want, they will fill in the remaining 20% themselves.

That means more tips, more good reviews, and more repeat customers.

Again, you do NOT need a professional photographer. Photographing food is easy if you follow a few basic steps. I am including two good articles that will teach you how to easily make professional quality food images that shout out the flavors and textures of your dishes. Once you have made them, you simply post them on your webpage. Then on your social media sites, you link to that item’s menu listing and you have a sales funnel, taking someone from your Facebook post to looking at your menu on your website, thinking how good EVERYTHING looks…

More customers will appear at your restaurant door or food truck!

Here are the articles:

5 Tips to Seriously Improve Your Food Photography Techniques

99 Food Photography Tips To Blow Your Mind

As always, send me a message if you have any questions!